magic adj : possessing or using or characteristic of or appropriate to supernatural powers; "charming incantations"; "magic signs that protect against adverse influence"; "a magical spell"; "'tis now the very witching time of night"- Shakespeare; "wizard wands"; "wizardly powers" [syn: charming, magical, sorcerous, witching(a), wizard(a), wizardly]
1 any art that invokes supernatural powers
2 an illusory feat; considered magical by naive observers [syn: magic trick, conjuring trick, trick, legerdemain, conjuration, illusion, deception]
Etymologymagik from magique, reborrowed from magice, borrowed from sc=polytonic (sc=polytonic), derived from sc=polytonic from magos magus, sorcerer, of Iranian origin; akin to Old Persian |tr=maguš.
- /ˈmædʒɪk/, /ˈm
Magic may refer to:
- Magic (paranormal) anything that is not naturally explainable by any laws of nature.
- Magic (illusion), the art of entertaining audiences by performing illusions and tricks
In fantasy fiction:
In science and mathematics:
- Magic (cryptography), the codename for U.S. intelligence obtained from cryptanalysis of Japanese diplomatic transmissions during World War II
- Magic square, a square of numbers with identical row, column, and diagonal sums
- MAGIC (telescope), the Major Atmospheric Gamma-ray Imaging Cherenkov Telescope
- R550 Magic, a French-built anti-aircraft missile
- Multi Agency Geographic Information for the Countryside, a governmental website with a detailed mapping and layers of the United Kingdom
- Magnetism-based interaction capture, a magnetic nanoprobe technology for detecting molecular interactions in living cells
- Magnesium Injection Cycle, a design for a clean engine
In popular culture:
- Magic (T-Connection album), a 1977 album by T-Connection
- Magic (Gillan album), a 1982 album by Gillan
- Magic (Jets album), a 1987 album by The Jets
- Magic (Amii Stewart album), a 1992 album by Amii Stewart
- Magic (Axel Rudi Pell album), a 1997 album by the German Guitar Wizard
- Magic (Twins album), a 2004 album by Twins
- Magic (Bruce Springsteen album), a 2007 album by Bruce Springsteen
- Magic (novel), a novel by William Goldman made into a 1978 film starring Anthony Hopkins and Ann-Margret
- Magic (film), thriller-movie from 1978 starring Anthony Hopkins.
- Magic (rapper), a New Orleans-based rapper
- Magic (magazine), a magazine for magicians
- Magic (music magazine), a monthly music magazine in France
- Magic (Pilot song), a 1974 hit song by Pilot
- Magic (Olivia Newton-John song), a 1980 song by Olivia Newton-John
- Magic (The Cars song), a 1984 song by The Cars
- Magick (song), a 2006 song by the Klaxons
- Magick Power, a 1987 song by the paisley underground band, Opal.
In computing programming:
- Magic (programming), a general term for hiding complexity, as well as a UNIX command for "magically" determining unknown filetypes
- Magic number (programming), an arbitrary number that has been assigned a special meaning
- "Magic", a version of the MUMPS programming language developed by Meditech
- Magic (software), a popular VLSI layout tool
- Magic Software Enterprises, a software company which maintains eDeveloper
- ImageMagick, a suite of imaging programs
- MAJC, a multi-core, multi-threaded processor targeted at running Java code made by Sun Microsystems in the 1990s
- Magic (object-oriented programming), A prototype-based, object-oriented, event-driven (mainly I/O events) interpreted programming language developed at the Experimental Computing Facility, University of California, Berkeley.
Among radio stations:
- Magic Radio, a radio network and television channel based in the United Kingdom (disambiguation for affiliates)
- WKLI (Magic 100), a radio station in Albany, New York
- KZMG (Magic 93.1), a radio station in Boise, Idaho
- WMJX (Magic 106.7), a radio station in Boston, Massachusetts
- KKMG (98.9 Magic FM), a radio station in Colorado Springs, Colorado
- WMGC (Magic 105.1), a radio station in Detroit, Michigan
- WMGS (Magic 93), a radio station in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
- Magic 89.9, a radio station in Manila, Philippines
- WLTB (Magic 101.7), a radio station in Binghamton, New York
- Magic 1278, a radio station in Melbourne, Australia
- Magic 107.7 FM, a radio station in Orlando, Florida
- KMAJ (Majic 107.7 FM), a radio station in Topeka, Kansas
- Magic 97.3 FM, a radio station in Panama City, Florida
- Magic 96.5 FM, a radio station in Birmingham, Alabama
- WMGQ Magic 98.3 FM, a radio station in New Brunswick, New Jersey
- Magic 105.7 FM, a radio station in Cleveland, Ohio.
- WTHZ (Magic 94.1), a radio station in Greensboro, North Carolina. Another station in the area, WMAG-FM, used the handle "Magic 99.5" for a period of time in the 1980s.
- Magic 100.5 FM, A radio station in Cumberland, Maryland.
- Majic 102.3 FM, the #1 R&B radio station in the Washington D.C. area.
- Magic 95.5 FM a radio station in Reno, Nevada
Magic can also mean:
- lookfrom Magic
magic in German: Magic
magic in French: Magie
magic in Italian: Magia
magic in Korean: 매직
magic in Japanese: マジック
Prospero, abracadabra, airiness, alchemy, allure, allurement, appearance, augury, aura, bewitchery, bewitching, bewitchment, black art, black magic, blaze of glory, brilliance, brilliancy, charisma, charm, charming, conjuring, delusiveness, demonolatry, devilry, deviltry, diablerie, diabolism, divination, divining, enchanting, enchantment, ensorcellment, entrancing, envelope, exorcism, extraordinary, fallaciousness, false appearance, false light, false show, falseness, fascinating, fascination, fetishism, glamor, glamour, glory, gramarye, halo, hocus-pocus, hoodoo, hypnotic, idealization, illusion, illusionism, illusionist, illusiveness, illustriousness, immateriality, incantation, juju, jujuism, legerdemain, luster, magian, magic act, magic show, magical, magician, magnetic, magnetism, marvelous, mesmerizing, miraculous, mumbo-jumbo, mystic, mystique, natural magic, necromancy, necromantic, nimbus, numinousness, obeah, occult, occultism, prestidigitation, prodigious, radiance, remarkable, resplendence, resplendency, rune, satanism, seeming, semblance, shamanism, shamanistic, show, simulacrum, sleight of hand, soothsaying, sorcerer, sorcerous, sorcery, sortilege, specious appearance, spell, spellbinding, spellcasting, splendor, stupendous, sympathetic magic, thaumaturgia, thaumaturgics, thaumaturgism, thaumaturgy, theurgy, trickery, unactuality, unbelievable, unprecedented, unreality, unsubstantiality, vampirism, voodoo, voodooism, wanga, white magic, witchcraft, witchery, witching, witchwork, witchy, wizardly, wizardry